Sunday, July 17, 2005

The Freudian slips of the Ex-gays

The New York Times actually managed to write a decent story about this strange phenomenon called "blogging!" This miracle is in part, I think, due to the fact that the story isn't just about crazy online communities, wacky gossip, or political commentary, it's about scary "gayness" treatment centers. To summarize-gay teen reveals on his myspace blog that his parents are packing him off to Christian re-education camp, this entry spreads over the interweb, protests ensue, NYT takes another look at the fundies. My favorite bit of the article comes from the man who runs the camp, John Smid:
I think exploring sexuality can lay a teenager up for numerous lifelong issues.

In case any smidgen of doubt had crept into your mind that ultra-conservative Christians are all about keeping sex taboo, scary, and mired in guilt, that quote should pretty much put it to rest. I'm glad I spent my Sunday reading this article and not in church.

No comments: